Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Tilt Assist Repair

Back again for more knowledge!
    I have a 1990, 40 HP, Johnson, TJ40ELESR and I'm pretty sure the head on the adjustment rod is broken. I can barely see the part, but it looks like it's above the threaded rod and after the joint that pivots to set or release the
    tilt. The pivoting tilt lever moves with out any resistance. If I can barely see the thing how can I remove it and get parts to repair it?
    Thanks, It's amazing what you can learn here.

Unfortunately I don't have a service manual to assist with the repair. You can obtain a service manual at the following link.
    Original outboard product and service manuals for Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, and OMC
    you can obtain parts at the following link.
    1990 TJ40ELESR Johnson Outboard Parts
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, the idea of a service manual is very good, except the ones I've seen have little mention of the Manual Tilt Assist Mechanism especially the one I own that covers from 1973 to 1990 and it is OMC. Your website would be kind enough to sell me a cylinder, but I don't see that as my primary problem, since I can barely see that broken link at the top of the cable/rod. I like to diagnose one issue at a time especially since the cost goes up greatly once you get into that cylinder. It may be that is the only way to make the repairs though. I have a good contact at a local Johnson/Evinrude marina, but they only service the high horsepower & I/Os of recent vintage. He looked at an older microfilm of the parts I'm looking for and said that I'd probably have to go to a salvage yard. He only had a part number for the cylinder, not the control cable with or without the cylinder.
      That still leaves me with the question about how to get to the darn thing, to remove it, and make only the necessary repairs. The manual I have goes over the power tilt and power tilt/trims pretty well. I guess they thought this manual part was bullet proof.
      I don't have a problem buying another manual, if it will cover what I need, but I'm full up on toilet paper in the outhouse.
      I always appreciate your help.

Comment

Yeah, I am uncertain if the OEM manual would have that information.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X