Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter cord won't budge (72 Johnson 20hp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter cord won't budge (72 Johnson 20hp)

Yesterday I tried to pull the starter cord but it wouldn't budge. The motor was last operated several years ago by some family members who might have attempted a tune-up*. Note: It's an old motor, in very good condition, with probably fewer than 100 hours on it.

Anyhow, I then put the gear selector into forward, removed the motor cover and manually turned the flywheel assembly (slowly/slightly) to confirm that the prop turns simultaneously and it did. So I figure the motor is not seized-up.

Then I removed the rewind starter assembly from the top of the motor. Off the motor, I pulled the starter cord and it worked perfectly. The cord came out easily/smoothly and re-wound just as well. The cord is neither frayed nor binding. It looks like new.

Now I'm ready to re-install the rewind starter. After inspecting it, I'm thinking it must be properly re-aligned for re-installation. (I had moved the flywheel, again, while the rewind starter was off.) Also, I'm thinking that maybe the rewind starter had been removed prior to my attempted start.

Maybe if it's properly re-aligned, the starter cord will "pull thru" easily/normally??? But how do I re-align it?

If the cord doesn't "pull thru" what do I check next?:

Scott
Working...
X