Has hard time idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has hard time idling

I bought a 1978 ranger fish and ski with a 1978 175 johnson outboard and im only 17 so i dont have a world of experience but i know more than most my age. But my problem is that my outboard runs fine on the muffs but dies when put in the water. i know its the back pressure killing it but i dont know where to start because i cleaned the carbs with no signifigant difference although i didnt get to the pilot/idle screw which i think was a mistake. But the exact way the motor is running is that it will start (hardly) when i have the idle lever lifted all the way up, and then if i pull it down and get it into gear and give it gas before the idle gets to far down and dies it will plane up. once i get it going on plane it will run till its empty or until i slow down then its destine to die unless i idle it at a good 1500rpm which cant be too safe. its start immediatly if tilt the prop out of the water where the exaust is free. so im thinking (cleaning idle screw, it has low compression, IAC valve, spark plugs) an old man said it sounded like it was missing when he was listening to it but we checked and all cylinders sparked.

Won't idle

I'm having the same problem with a 1987 vro 110 hp Johnson. Carbs have been cleaned and new kits installed. New fuel filter, spark plugs and wires plus coils. It is strong above 1500 rpm will push my 18' wellcraft (heavy boat) at over 35 mph. It idles with the muffs but in the water it shuts off unless the idle is set high. WHAT TO DO????

Comment

Won't idle

I'm having the same problem with a 1987 vro 110 hp Johnson. Carbs have been cleaned and new kits installed. New fuel filter, spark plugs and wires plus coils. It is strong above 1500 rpm will push my 18' wellcraft (heavy boat) at over 35 mph. It idles with the muffs but in the water it shuts off unless the idle is set high. WHAT TO DO????

Comment

Something is going on here with regard to this idling problem that has occured since I retired. I am going to need to get in touch with some of my old contacts still in the business. I will get back to you all, but I am leaving for about a week, starting tomorrow. I will get back to you when I get home and get caught up on things.

Comment

Two things come to mind. This is the latest from my former associates who are still mechanics at a Johnson/Evinrude dealership.....

They are finding a lot of motors with weak fuel/oil pumps. The pumps are having their internals eaten away by today's gasoline which has ethonal in it. According to them, the newer fuel pumps have new materials that will prevent the weakening. At idle the pumps are just too weak to pump enough gas. Replace your pump with a new one which is resistant to the ethanol.

Second, if your gas is more than a few months old, drain your tanks and fill with fresh gas. Try to find a station that sells ethanol-free gas. Use that gas in your outboard whenever possible.

Old carb kits are also suffering from ethanol gas. The newer pumps are resistant to it.

Comment

Working...
          X