Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 40HP Stalls under load

Hi All,

I have a 1997 40HP self mixing Johnson two stroke outboard with electric start and power tilt and trim which until now has run without fault. This problem started suddenly that last time I took it out, and did it again this morning.

The motor idles a little roughly, then, when you open the throttle to get going, it picks up revs for about two or three seconds, then stalls. As above, it first did it towards the end of a trip and while running at about 3/4 throttle. This morning it did it as I was leaving the ramp.

I've tried swearing at it, and have checked the spark plugs which appear to be OK (interestingly, one of the plugs is oilier than the other one).

It feels like a fuel supply problem to me, but I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting. The fuel line doesn't seem to be blocked as the bulb doesn't get sucked in when it plays up.

Out of the water, the motor starts no problems with the ear muffs on. After it stalls on the water, it is difficult to restart.

Thanks,

JtK.
    Last edited by Johnny_The_Knife; 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM.

Hi All.

I believe I've fixed this problem. I took the carbies off and found a lot of water in the bowls, so I'm guessing that was the cause.

The motor is starting and idling better than it ever has in the time I've had it. It's raining now, so I don't think I'll be doing a water test, but I'm 90% certain it's fixed.

JtK

Comment

I took the boat out on the water this morning and it did the same thing again. This time, however, I'm getting an oil warning as well, so I'm leaning towards the VRO pump being the issue.

Does this seem reasonable?

Comment

Working...
      X