Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70 hp johnson not idling more than 8minutes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 hp johnson not idling more than 8minutes???

A little bit of help required please. I have a 2000 70hp johnson with little hrs on it and a disconnected VRO. Also back then, they put another fuel pump on as it didnt want to run with the original.. Since, it has run like a charm the 2 or 3 times a year I get to go out with it. I was out running it for about 15 mintes the other day and it died out, sounded like running out of gas. I checked hose tank connections and also tried another hose and tank. It would start back up and run for a few minutes then die out again. I took a few things apart at home and ran it a few times on the muffs and it still would run fine for alomst 10 minutes then acts as if you've disconnected the fuel line and were attempting to run it out of gas. I've check the fuel pump for consistant pulsing of fuel, I checked for leaks in hoses, plugs look fine, spark seems fine as I've pulled wires off while running and noticed a difference at each of the 3 wires. Really not sure what to check next. Can someone give me some direction please, I did also pull the lower carb and checked the float bowl. It looked spotless. Thanks.

Try pumping the primer bulb and see if it will contine to run properly, if so your fuel pump is probably getting weak.

Comment

I did try squeezing the bulb a few times and made now difference.

Comment

Do you have an external vent on your fuel tank, is it open?
        Maybe the pickup in the tank is restricted, can you borrow another tank and try it and see if it cures your problem?
        Last edited by Daviet; 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Unfortunatly, as I mentioned in the original post I did try a different tank and hose and no difffernt. I actually got it to run a bit longer before quitting the other day. Must be an electrical issue, something telling it to shut down. Hard to say what though.
          Thanks.

Comment

i ha a similar problem i had dirt in one of my fuel jets

Comment

would dirt in one of the carbs cause it to stall out complety?? I put a spark tester on and all looked good. So I waited until it started to act up and put the tester on all 3 wires again and they all were sparking intermittantly it seemed, BUT, I would imagine that would be because the motor was spitting and sputtering therfore not turning over quick to give off a good spark anyways. Still not much further along. I've tried the heat gun to each coil, i thought maybe it was the middle coil because it acted up when i heated it for a couple mintues, but was also nearing the 8-10 minute mark that it has been running for all this time.

Comment

I have the same problem and I found out it was my vro just because of one thing. I raised my fuel tank up about two feet and the pressure of the fuel on the vro would keep it running. I am guessing that my pump is just getting weak. Try that and tell me what happens.

Comment

My VRO is disconnected but thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X