Engive trouble at 2500 to 3000 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engive trouble at 2500 to 3000 RPM

Somewhere around 3000 RPM my 2003 Johnson 90 horsepower salt water edition engine starts missing and will go no faster. Here's what happened...

The motor was running perfectly a couple of weeks ago before I had a starter problem. You could here the bendix turning but it would not extend to crank the fly wheel. I found a loose connection at the ground on the solenoid but broke the solenoid when I tightened it. The voltage arched when it broke so I had to replace the engine fuse. Upon getting a new solenoid (that was not the problem) we finally realized that the bendix was broken. We installed a new bedix, motor started like a champ and off to dinner we went. On the way to dinner she started missing at high RPM's (I thought we were going through grass) but I was wrong. The sputtering and spurting got progressively worse until now it will go no harder than 3000 RPM's.

It sounds like the motor is in slow mode so I checked the oil float and it is not stuck. I replaced both thermostats, just in case and checked all the connections that I could see. It seems to be getting good spark (I had already replaced the spark plugs) so I replaced the ignition light sensor but still no change.

One mechanic thinks it is the computer - another mechanic tells me that motor does not have a computer and thinks it might be the power pack.

It seems like I must have done something when working around the solenoid but I can't figure out what.

Please help!

Check compression, try pumping fuel primer bulb or hitting choke to see if rpm's pick back up. Check to see if losing spark when rpm's drop.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X