175 HP Overheat Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 HP Overheat Alarm

I recently bought a boat with a 2 stroke 175HP Looper V6. The motor runs like a charm as a rule. The last time I had it out, I went about a mile at near full throttle 5400-5600 rpm and the overheat alarm came on and the motor went into safe mode. After idleing about a minute, the alarm stopped and the engine temp was around 180 degrees. It pees a really strong stream, it was not hot enough to make steam, and after resetting the alarm, the motor runs fine as long as I stay below 4000 rpms although after about 6-8 minutes, the gauge does indicate it is on the high side of normal.

I took it to a marine tech who did the routine checks. He pulled the thermostats and found a small piece of gasket material/silicone that was possibly obstructing the thermostat in the head with the sending unit/alarm sensor. He then checked my fuel tank for a restriction and said that although the safe mode was not activated by a fuel restriction, that too little fuel would also cause a motor to run too warm causing the overheat alarm. He found that the 3/8 inch fuel line was necked down to a 1/4 inch barb at the tank. This was corrected to a 3/8 from tank to carbs. The water pump in the motor is about a year old and he felt it was working fine. After several minutes of running on a hose, the hottest either head gets with an IR gauge is 145 degrees. I plan to take it out later today to see if we have corrected the issue. Is anyone aware of any other possibilities for the overheating other than what I have mentioned and does his explanation sound reasonable? I feel it was a combination of the fuel restriction and the particially blocked thermostat. I do know that on 2 stroke ultra-lite aircraft, a lean running engine will overheat and cause problems. I can see how the same would be true on the outboard.

Thanks

Yes thermostats or fuel restriction could cause an overheat. Might check compression to check for blown head gasket or an engine problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X