My Johnson is bogging down / flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Johnson is bogging down / flooding

Thanks for any advice on my issue in advance.

Motor is a 1998 225 Johnson Venom. Model# J225STLECS Serial: G 04510224
    Carbs were made in Mexico 3/26/1998 #439510 <- this # is from a sticker on the carb.. turns out it's different on 3 of the carbs.

What's going on:
    1. I can flood this motor by squeezing the bulb 3X. Oddly, the fuel runs out of the throttle plate where the throttle bar goes through the plate instead of the weep holes. Motor can be hard to start at times if I squeeze the bulb to much.

2. The biggest issue is loss of power after the engine warms up. Allow me to explain. I can run across the lake to my first fishing hole. Turn the motor off and fish for a while. Then I fire the motor up w/o problems. Then, when I engage the throttle to take off, if I give it to much throttle it will die. Start it back up. Give it a little throttle at a time it will finally go. But just the slightest to much throttle and it will die unless I can get it back to neutral real quick like. Also, engaging the motor and trying to idle in a "no wake area" will cause the motor to die. It idles fine in neutral. Trying to dock the boat on the trailer is futile. When I try to ease up farther on the bunks the engine will just die. I have to use the wench to pull it onto the trailer.

3. Another thing I noticed is the Induction manifold is becoming soaked w/ gas/oil mixture on the inside. I cleaned it up real good but it quickly became soaked again.

What I have done:
    1. New plugs : NGK R gapped to .030
    2. Pulled all the floats and leveled them even. Turn upside down and cannot blow through needle valve.

All of the new plugs seem to have the same color ( a coco brown color) after running about 12gals of fuel.

Update,

Well the flooding is fixed. But still the same hesitation trying to get it going. I give it throttle and it almost dies. I have to just keep messing w/ it. Give it a little throttle. then a little more. Most of the time it just dies. Pumping the bulb primer seems to help now. In fact if I don't the motor won't get above "No Wake" speeds. Finally, It will get past that certain spot or something and it will take off. Run's like a bat outta hell once I get going. If I keep it going I'm fine. But, if I slow down and idle around for a couple of minutes, or stop to fish, the entire process starts over again. And by process, I mean the boat may die 10 or 20 times before I can get it going strong again.

Now I'm suspecting the fuel pump? Any ideas?

Comment

i have a 1996 evinrude 225 vindicator. it does the samething runs like hell on top end. but no take off power. motor rebuilt 1 year ago. turns 5800 rpms at 68 on gps. turning a 26 tempest prop. could it fuel related or electrical. like the stator or rctifer.

Comment

Originally posted by jobeyc View Post
        i have a 1996 evinrude 225 vindicator. it does the samething runs like hell on top end. but no take off power. motor rebuilt 1 year ago. turns 5800 rpms at 68 on gps. turning a 26 tempest prop. could it fuel related or electrical. like the stator or rctifer.
        Got mine fixed. Clogged orifices on the #4 Carb(Port Side Middle) the pickup tube and the orifice next to the needle valve. They were not complete clogged, just partial. It was very hard to find.

It may not be the final answer. But, mine seems to be running like a champ now.

Oh, I forgot. I filled it up w/o the Lucas fuel treatment. I will NEVER run that in my 2 stroke again. Works great on my diesel and automotive engines but not so good for the 2 stroke.
        Last edited by Sheave; 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

1999 Johnson 175 Motor bogging

Did you ever fix the issue?

Motor is a 1999 175 Johnson

What's going on:

1. My motor loses of power after the engine warms up. I can run across the lake to my first fishing hole. Turn the motor off and fish for a while. Then I fire the motor up w/o problems. Then, when I engage the throttle to take off, and it sounds like it is trying to bog down and can never get off to plain out. It may stall once or twice, but not much. It idles fine in neutral.

What I have done:
          1. New plugs
          2. New Fuel line, bulb and fuel Filter
          3. Replaced the Ignition coils. I did replace the spak plug cables yet, but will try it next.
          4. Check the gas cap vents and even pulled off the cap to see if that would help.

I have tried it out on the water after every adjustment.
          Runs fine in Idle and at home with the water ears on it, but it seems like it has the issue when placed under a load.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Possible fix

My buddy found online in a different forum - It may be the choke sticking...and the fix is...when the problem occurs...pump the choke on the boat and everything will start working...I am going to try this on Friday when I go out.

Comment

Working...
            X