Tilt and Trim-1990 40hp johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt and Trim-1990 40hp johnson

New to forum, I have a 1990, 40 hp Johnson motor and I am having problems with the tilt and trim.. Just bought the boat a couple of months back and the trim has been working ok, other than the cylinder leaks pretty bad at the top where the rod goes down into the cylinder cap.. Got a price from a local marine mechanic of $300 to rebuild the cylinder.. Was gonna use it as is for awhile before having the cylinder rebuilt,, only to have it start acting and not working properly.. The other day the trim would go down just fine but then when i tried to go up nothing would happen.. I checked the connections to the switch, checked the fuse,its ok, wiggled all the wires, and I dont know what I did, but it started working. I got all excited and cleaned up the back end of the boat and when I tried to put the motor down, it would not work... The trim motor will only go up, absolutely nothing happens when you push the switch to go down.. I have no idea what is wrong, and I am leaning towards buying a brand new tilt and trim assembly. I am thinking by the time I pay $300 to have the cylinder rebuilt, and maybe needing a new motor, I might as well buy a new assembly. My 40 hp motor runs great, and I am trying to get the boat going for the Crappie spawn.. I am NOT a mechanic and i am stumped.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... THANKS!!!!..Tim
Working...
X