1996 johnson 50 horse motor need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 johnson 50 horse motor need help

I have a 96 Johnson 50 horse outboard. Model number 50TLEDS. was running fine and when I got time to go out again it would not start. Have changed the fuel pump, power pack and the fuse in it and it still won't start. Does anyone have any ideal what I can change next? It try to turn over, but not starting. Changed the spark plug also. Thanks for any help.

If it wont crank over then load test battery and battery cables.
    If cranks over ok then check for spark at plugs, may need to remove and clean carbs may not be getting any gas through them.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Have already checked all electronics system, checked all fuses in line and main fuse box, ran test on fuse on engine, it is fine, gets enough fuel to flood it, no spark at the cyclinders and all electronic check out fine, new plugs, don't know what else to check, igination switch cranks over and all gauges work through the switch. Motor run perfect when I loaded it on the trailer after use. Put a new fuel pump on and did start and died. Now it will not start at all, turns over but does not start. So got a power pack, and new coil That is what the guy at the boat shop said it might be, but still turns over and does not start. Not for sure what else it might be, know a little about motors but not a mechanic on them.
      Is there any switch or something else I can check? Thanks

Comment

Are you getting spark at plugs? Ok no spark at plugs (just re read your post). If no spark, check kill switch. if kill switch checks out, look for a wire that is grounding out somewhere between flywheel and coils. Check your connections and output from magneto. It sounds like a bad connector (not sending the electrical charge from magneto to cdi/coils), or a wire is grounding out (this would act like the kill switch, no spark to plugs).

Let us know what you find. Good luck.
        Last edited by Solarman; 10-21-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X