90 horse issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 horse issues

I have a 1986 Johnson 90hp VRO with a few issues.

Things that have been replaced:
    -stator
    -power packs (both sides)
    -plugs/wires
    -100% new fuel lines in power head + filter
    -new fuel line and primer bulb going to power head
    -clean carbs
    -new raw water impeller
    -VRO works perfect
    -Evin.John. XD50 oil used in motor

-one plug was fouling out, so I replaced the coil for that cylinder

-compression was checked last spring, not A+, but within spec.

The issues I am having:
    - The motor does not like to idle in gear, but idles fine in neutral at about 700-800RPM. Also, when it is idling in gear, it will "wease" or backfire through the exhaust, and then run rough for a few strokes of the motor until it catches itself again. lately it has been dying after the wease, and it will fire right back up if I give it some throttle. When Idling, if I increase the motor speed to about 1000-1200 RPM it runs smooth and steady all day long.
    -the motor has a 15 pitch prop, and is mounted on a 16ft Nordic Crestliner Fish and Ski. at full throttle it winds out to about 5000RPM no problem.
    -Every time I go to start the motor when worm, I have to give it throttle (sometimes choke) and let it sit at high idle for a few seconds before it is ready to go underway. I have noticed other V4 models, and they seem to fire at the flick of a key when wormed up.
    -my next step is carb rebuild kits and intake gaskets,
    -One other thing I noticed is that it will not run up in RPM with the trim up. My friend had his boat out, and he trimmed his Johnson so that the prop was out of the water, and he revved the motor in gear spraying some water and making 2 STROKE NOISE, I thought that looked like fun, so I tried with my motor. Once I had the trim up, prop out of the water, the motor would barely run, when I went to rev it, it would die, so I gave up.

-I am open to any Ideas or suggestion to get my 90 running like a proper OMC
    -Thanks -

It sounds like you have a low speed idle jet issue, as well as maybe a float and needle/seat issue, also check the fuel pump, if weak fuel flow at low speed (idle), this too can affect running. This does sound like a fuel problem.

So clean the carbs, blow out all the fuel/air pas-sages, remove and check needle valve and seat (anytime the seat is removed, float adjustment is needed), adjust floats (fuel must stop flowing into bowl when float is level). Idle air mix screws should be set identically by the book (check previous settings before removal). And, do not remove, or change any linkages when cleaning. It is important to identify what exactly you find inside carbs (particles of rubber tubing, plastics, etc.).

Let us know if you find anything. Post back when able. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X