100esl72r shuts off@temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100esl72r shuts off@temp

Been chasing this thing for awhile..... Ran great for a few years, and then!! New power pack, coil, and rectifier, but wouldn't fire up. I don't do wiring real well, another guy said he found problem(s) in the remote. Now had spark hot enough to weld with and it ran good until I got out a ways - about the time she warmed up.

Have had two other mechanics look it over at some expense and it still isn't right. Too much back and forth to explain it all... I've had to rework some of theirs, AM DONE! w/others doing what I can do. New fuel lines, bulb, and pump; and I run a water separator w/no corn! Carbs rebuilt

Has a used stator (checks OK and there was nothing wrong with the old), brand new distributor cap - what a find! Timing sensor 5.5ohms, anti-reverse OK, no grounding out, either (unless it's happening while running?). New impeller 7psi at idle, block not hot w/muffs, new plugs, wires and boots good, rotor OK but original - low hour for age. Compression good/even.

Lower unit, new oil and spliced in 18" of wire through cowling - shifts well. Presently, she starts like a champ, hits hard on all cylinders, but about the time it's good and warm, shuts off just like you turned the ignition off. and no matter what rpm, she just dies. Will fire back up immediately, but shuts off progressively sooner.

My thinking, it's heat related, duh! Possibly the monkey nut (diode) in the remote?

Seems like I'm forgetting something, but have to get gone for a couple hours. Be back soon and thanks in advance for any and all
    Last edited by Crappie Cat; 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM. Reason: definition of monkey nut

Ok. Of you have a clip-on timing light, let's do this just to answer one question. Tie trigger in on position, clip to any plug wire, run motor till it shuts off. Does timing lite stop flashing when motor dies out (I mean immediately just preceding the motor quitting?)? If yes, try other plug wires. If same results, we can conclude it IS electrical.
    If lite continues to flash after motor dies out, check a few more plug wires? If same results I would conclude it is NOT electrical.

Post your results when able. Good luck.
    Last edited by Solarman; 09-18-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

not certain what you meant by tying the trigger but spark quit before she stopped spinning. I read about disconnecting the harness to take the remote out of the loop. Other than jumping it off at the starter do I need to jump any other wires for it to run? I remember my dad doing something on an old Ford with the solenoid. You could bump the motor hooked up one way, another way for it to run.

Comment

dummy me! When you said trigger, my mind immediately jumped to the trigger on the motor lol Too much going on around here....
        shop manual arrived yesterday! Really helps not to work in the dark!
        Have a few things to check out first, but manual says anytime new power pack is installed (or other work), timing needs to be checked and /or reset to 28* @4,500rpm. With my 21" pitch prop, that's way too fast on the water to check or set = tank test in the shop

Comment

Working...
        X