Johnson 15 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 15 no spark

Hi, I'm new here and new to outboard motors. I have a johnson 15 manual start. Not sure what year but the motor is clean and was stored in the garage for at least the past 5 years. I'm trying to start it up and I get no spark. Pulled plug and clamped it to ground while I pulled. No spark. There is a little red button near the throttle control that I think is a kill switch. I have fiddled with it but still no spark. Any ideas?
    purged fuel line...

What year is the motor?
    If it is a kill switch, has it got a lanyard? What do you mean by ”fiddled with it”?
    With the plug(s) out, did you check spark with red button in both positions? Was motor in Neutral?
    Is the shifter in neutral position? Should not start in forward, or reverse.
    Can you take a pic, and post it here for us to see what you have?

Good luck, post back when able.
    Last edited by Solarman; 09-23-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

New here also...and have the same issue.

1992 15 hp.

Model #: J15RENM

Ser. #: G 03111363

Was running like a top up until this last THUR and quit on a dime FRI morning right before we were to take it out duck hunting SAT morning.

Fairly mechanically inclined...however, first outboard and I know little to nothing about outboards.

Thanks in advance all.

Comment

Canned heat, it's difficult and interferes with trying to diagnose one owners problems when others jump in on their thread.

Would like to help you, but each motor is different, though the end product may seem like the same problem. The solution may be something entirely different.

Also, response times are much different between owners.

Please start your own thread. Thanks. Good luck.

TNT, there should be a tag on the clamp that has a model and serial number. This info can help to identify what you have.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Solarman; 10-07-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X