intermittent rough running 60hp '97 3cyl vro2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent rough running 60hp '97 3cyl vro2

Running at 'no wake speed' engine sounded good for 9 seconds then rough and throaty for 12 seconds for the entire 10 minute ride to the boat ramp. Varying speed slightly didn't change the pattern. First time in for the season was the day before and it ran fine on a little trip to the beach. On the return trip it wouldn't accelerate so I eased back and limped home at low speed hoping that I wasn't starving a cylinder and scorching it. Now it is back in my driveway.

The engine is a '97 60hp (E60TLUEA) 3 cylinder carbed with vro2.

The bulb wasn't real hard; pumping it up didn't change things. The gas tanks were clean and dry with new fuel. None of the system check lights came on though they cycle on for the self test. I can't be totally sure that the oil level went down since I only ran 2-3 gallon of gas. I had oil in the first 6gal tank but switched to the pure gas tank when it started acting up; no difference.

Got this engine last year, about 15 hours ago. Changed the fuel filter and rebuilt the carbs back then before I even used it.Ran a 'storage mixture' in for 15 minutes at the end of the season. So far...

-plugs look similar to each other
    -compression is 140, 140,140

what should I try next..

-replace the fuel filter?
    -clean the carbs?
    -change the gas line from the tanks to the engine?
    -??
Working...
X