Problem with stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with stator?

So i bought this boat about 4 months ago from a family friend. Its a 1995 Johnson 30HP on a side console Jon boat. When i bought it I was told that the stator needed replacing and he already had the new one, but didn't put it in yet. So I replaced it, this is what the old one looked like.

IMG_20150314_093822356.jpg

You can see it kind of expanded and just looked burnt up. so I replaced it and got the motor running and everything seemed to be fine. Motor ran great besides the starter needing replacing. I'd say i put at least 20 hours on it before it went to crap. I was running down the river when the motor started acting like it wasn't getting fuel so i slowed down and it puttered out. Tried to start it (with pull cord cause starter broken) and the flywheel wouldn't turn. The new stator swelled up and eventually got caught in the flywheel and just F*&#ed everything up under the flywheel and the flywheel itself.

IMG_20150530_105200640.jpg

You can see it chewed up the plate and everything on it.
    IMG_20150530_105244048_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150530_105313870.jpg
    So before I go and spend an arm and a leg on parts does anyone have any idea why these stators keep doing this?

I think your new stator got eaten by the old flywheel. New stators don't usually swell up from rust. But if the magnets came loose, that would do it.
    Is hard to tell from pics what actually happened, but my guess, would be the flywheel was damaged or started coming apart.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Solarman; 06-02-2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X