Idle/ power problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle/ power problem

I've got a 1990 60hp Johnson. Put gas in at marina and cruised the lake for about an hour. Crank it yesterday and as I was backing out of the boat house, it sounded like a bucket of bolts rattling. The rattling was similar to a 4 cycle motor that was misfiring. It had no power when I tried to give it gas. Got it back to the boathouse but noticed it was idling too fast, probably around 2000rpms. Checked all the linkage, seemed fine. I had my wife move the cold start up and back and it always went back to zero. I just cranked it again and while I was looking at the motor to see what may be out of adjustment, it started accelerating by itself probably another 1000rpms. I quickly set it off. I siphoned out all the gas yesterday and put in alcohol free gas when I first noticing it running rough so it's not the gas. One think of interest, I don't have to use the cold start for cranking....it'll fire right up and idle at 2000. I'm baffled. Any ideas what's wrong?

It sounds like something is loose in the linkage.
    it may be a spring that has broken. Look in the bottom of the Cowling all around, and see if you find a spring, or piece of spring. Look around the the linkages, and see if a spring is hanging loose, maybe around the timing advance linkage? It could be on the throttle linkage somewhere?

Good luck. Post back if you find anything.
    Last edited by Solarman; 05-18-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Idle problem

Solarman......looks like I have an air leak problem around the middle carb. Hopefully a new gasket will fix. I'll make another post after new part is put on and reassembled.

Comment

Working...
      X