Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Solenoid Problem

Hi,

I have a 2000 Johnson J25Telssd outboard. I'm having a problem getting it to crank. I was going to check the compression on it and put a new battery in it to see if it would turn over. It would turnover slowly and sometimes not at all. I thought it might be the solenoid, so I bypassed it, (battery cable directly to starter, for several seconds) and the engine would turnover very fast, but of course not firing completely over,(kill switch off). I purchased a new solenoid and installed it today and had the same problem with it as the older solenoid. I installed it the same way as the old one came off. I'm not sure if I have a problem somewhere else with the engine. Thanks for any help.

Check your wires going to solenoid. Check the end connectors at battery and motor, wires inside may be corroded? Or, dirty connections. Ground wires too.

If wires are clean and good, there should be no difference going to starter with jumper wire, or wires on solenoid. Check wires and connections, there is a problem somewhere.

Good luck, post back if find anything.

Comment

I tested the connections on the solenoid. I have power where the battery cable hooks to the solenoid. I also have power to the top two small terminals(ignition wire terminal and terminal for rectifier), when I press the ignition switch. I do not have power from terminal on the solenoid that goes to the starter when I press ignition to start motor.

Comment

Sounds like the two small terminals are wired incorrectly. Check wiring diagram.

Good luck.

Comment

I tested the solenoid with a volt meter and I'm getting 12.55 volts on the terminal going to the solenoid. I tested both small terminals with the start button pressed and I also got 12.55 volts on both sides, I tested the terminal going to the starter while pressing the start button and I got nothing. Is it common for new solenoids to be faulty?
          Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would throw in some pictures. Maybe it will help.
            Attached Files

Comment

Could I possibly have the two big terminals backwards?

Comment

No. the small terminals engage the solenoid to make the big contacts jump across the big leads. You need to download a wiring diagram for your motor that shows the wiring for your solenoid.

Remove all your wires from your solenoid. Until you get wires right, do not connect battery. Your wiring is wrong!! What are all those wires doing on the solenoid? How did you get all the wires screwed up?

I don't have a schematic for your motor, but don't think your rectifier/red wire should be connected to the solenoid? What are all those wires going to? Are they positive or negative wires? Why are there other wires on the posts? Those posts are only for the starter wires.

You better get it straight before testing, our you'll damage all of your wiring and motor electrical!!

Good luck.
                Last edited by Solarman; 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I got the boat from a friend of mine. I was curious about the wiring too! I called him and he said the wiring has never been touched. So when I would remove wires, I would put them back on the same way I took them off. I'll get a wiring diagram for it before I do anything else. Do you know of any websites I could download a wiring diagram from?

Thank You

Comment

Problem fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X