• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Johnson GT 150 question

I have a 1986 Johnson GT 150
    Model Number: J150stlcdc
    Serial Number: j7155954

I took it to the boat shop because it would take like 2 minutes to plain out after take off. Thats taking off full bore or going half and then going to full

They ran a compression test and said its only getting 60 pounds on each cylinder. They said it should be above 80. They quoted me $2500-$3500 to fix it.

Does anyone know if i could just replace the ring and it would be fine. Or know were i can buy a cheap rebuilt kit?

60 PSI is low. I have a 1985 150 GT just rebuilt and compression is in mid 90's. If you have any mechanical skills then you can rebuild the motor yourself. Get a good manual and read it about four times and then dig in. I made sure I followed every critical note during the rebuild. I replaced two pistons and had those cylinders overboard and honed the rest. Replaced all the rings and gaskets and any other part I felt was not serviceable. Had local marine mechanic do initial break in and then followed manufactures recommendations after that. I completed entire project with new reeds for about a $1000.00. Motor runs great and I would rate it as a moderate difficulty level (much easier than the Mercury 150 Black Max I did, in my opinion).

Hope this helps

Comment

My buddy said he can rebuild it! Were did you get the manual at?

Comment

I bought one from my local boat shop, SOLEC manual about $25 if I remember correctly. The factory manuals are out there but they can get pricy the SOLEC manual had enough information to do the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
        X