72 Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Johnson

My outboard started breaking the shear pins. I have noticed that there is quite a bit of play on the propeller when it is in gear. Could this be the reason and How do I go about fixing it.

I need more info on your motor, they're a number of motors made that year, plus the batteries in my crystal ball are dead, so I can't see your motor?

Post back if I can help more?

Comment

I could not find a Model number. here are some pictures

[ATTACH][ATTACH]20150430_202558.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, great pics, of a good looking motor.
        Ok, when you say ” good bit of play in the prop”, what kind of play? Is the prop slipping on the hub, or a lot of play back and forth on the shaft? Related to shear pin play? Is the shear pin hole worn out, or are the grooves in the prop hub worn out?

Post back when able, ill be out for a day, but back the next one.

Comment

alot of play back and forth on the shaft. About 1/4 turn both ways from where it sits. 45 degrees each way.

Comment

Look at grooves in back of prop, are they worn out? Look at shaft where shear pin goes, is the hole worn out? If neither appears to be worn, are you using the proper shear pin (should be brass and fit shaft and prop good)? Is prop bushing slipping inside of prop?

If you think the gears inside the foot are the problem, remove the lower gearoil screw on the foot, it should have a magnet on the end. If there is a problem with the gears inside, you will see large metal pieces on the magnet (small pieces/ shavings might be normal wear for that age motor)? If the gear oil in the foot is milky color, then water is getting into the foot (should be clear and same color as when put in).

Good luck, post back if you find anything.

Comment

Working...
            X