Johnson 60hp leaking oil? from under motor cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 60hp leaking oil? from under motor cover

Getting ready to get my pontoon out now that it's above zero outside. Last fall I was pulling it out of the water and what looked like oil was running out from under the motor cover. It is a VRO motor, but like most, the VRO was disconnected years ago and I mix my own fuel. Being a 2-cycle, I assume there's no oil in the motor to flow out like it did. It must be lower unit grease.. but it came out from under the motor cover. Is there a seal or something at the top of the lower unit that may be leaking? Any help appreciated so I can get it going soon and get boating as soon as the ice is gone. Thanks !

It could be residual oil from exhaust that drips down around prop after being used.
    If oil looks clean/clear it could be lower unit oil. Then that might indicate a seal leaking. The next time water pump is replaced (if not needing now) would be the time to check those seals. You can check lower unit oil to make sure it's still clean and full, unless it hasn't been changed in recent couple years?

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

thanks

It did not look clear like lower unit lube. It looked like dirty motor oil. I drained it as I do every fall before storing the boat. Your idea about exhaust drip may be it, but it has never done that before in the ten years I've owned it? Will probably just fill the lower unit and put the boat in the water and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Add motors get some running age on them, more carbon and oil films (from burnt 2 stroke oil) stick to exhaust chambers, walls, etc. Also, much of it does wash with water in exhaust processes, but some lingers, then flushing motors after use builds some on exhaust areas again, but not sitting in water to loosen up or wash out.

Thnx for response. Happy boating.

Comment

Seems like if my 87' 60 hp is left on the transom saver, the gas in the carbs evaporates and just the oil mix is left, which drips out of the lower cowling.

Comment

Working...
          X