No top end on 2001 8HP Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No top end on 2001 8HP Johnson

I have a 2001 8hp on a 15' 4" gheenoe. I have only been out in it once and it flew with about 450#s between me and my brother. I let it sit for about a year. Laid it on its side so the gas would not be in the bottom of the bowl. Decided to use it recently, put it on the boat fire it right up. Took it out to run it and it would just strain when I gave it full throttle. I think some people refer to it as bubbling. To make a long story short, I took off the carb, soaked it in carb cleaner(as in a gallon container of cleaner) overnight blew it out, reassembled and tried again with the same results. Had the carb off at least 6 times since put a new carb kit in, still the same problem. I did notice during all of this the filler in the high speed tube looked a little broken down. Cleaned out the old and replaced it with marine JB weld and cleaned the high speed tube while I had it open. Tried it again, same problem. Its either getting to much fuel or not enough as near as I can tell. I have not messed with any timing adjustments. The boat is rated for a 10hp, so it should do pretty good with an 8hp (or should it?). Am I just expecting to much out of the 8.

If it flew the first time, it should fly again.

Generally speaking:
    Too much fuel = no idle.
    Too little fuel = no top end speed.

Never let an outboard sit for a year with fuel in the carb. Either run the fuel out of it (if you mix your own oil/gas) or, if it has an oil/gas mixer on it (aka VRO pump) hook it to a hose, (or stick it in a barrel if small motor), and crank it up once or twice a month for 10-15 minutes. Or have it winterized. Generally speaking, the outboard motors that run the best and the most reliably for years are those that are run on a regular basis.

First, check compression and spark.

Try a full carb rebuild with a total teardown of the carb including jet removal. Install a new carb kit.

Check to see if any linkage has loosened, especially between the throttle linkage and the carb linkage. Are they still in sync? Is throttle plate moving to wide open position when throttle is twisted all the way? Is ignition advance moving all the way to the stop?

Sometimes a carb just cannot be rebuilt and yours sounds like it is not in the best of shape with needing JB weld repair, etc. You may have to get a different carb......

Comment

Working...
    X