1990 175 Johnson misses at 3k rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 175 Johnson misses at 3k rpms

Hope somebody can help. I have a 1990 175 Johnson. Just changed VRO pump, rebuilt all 3 carbs. Runs great for 10-15 min then the engine sounds like its running out of gas. I can run at 3k no problem and idle no problem. When I shut down and let set for 5 min or so it runs great again for 10-15 min. Don't think it's fuel because I can pump the carb bowls full and it won't change anything. Let it set for 5 min and it runs fine. Any Ideas? Thanks

one more thing....I changed my plugs with automotive autolites that were crossed referenced by the sales person. I was running champions that are recommended. That's when this issue started. Could the plugs be failing or causing the stator/timing base to fail or get hot?

replaced plugs with the correct type and ran at 4k for 20 min. Same thing, rpm's dropped to 3k and felt like it was missing. I watched the timer base and it was advancing ok. I can shut down for a min or 2 and it will run fine foe 5 min or so. I ran with the cover off and didn't notice any overheating.

update 7/7 Just came off the lake, I vented the tank by removing the fuel cap and removed thermostats. I didn't get an alarm this time but still have same symptoms. I can run at 4-5k for 10 min and the boat will start to lose power and then cut back to 3k. if I try to push it past 3k I get a bad miss. I can shut down for 1 min and it will run fine again for 5 min and the same will occur. Sounds like electronics to me????
    Anybody have a idea? I hate to throw parts at it without a good idea what the problem is.

I would appreciate any advice!!!!!
    Last edited by steveinq8; 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM. Reason: additional info

Try bumping choke to see if gains rpm's, if does then its a carb problem. Check to see if its misfiring buy using a timing light on each cylinder.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X