Fixing an old motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing an old motor

Hey all, my name is Greg and I am new to the site. I recently purchased a 1996 SeaArk 16ft side console with a 48 johnson and had a few questions about prepping the motor. I bought the boat from a family friend who was moving and needed to sell it. I tried searching first and couldn't find any similar threads but I apologize if this was a topic previously discussed. Before purchasing the boat, I was unable to run the motor (lack of battery) but from what the guy was telling me, the motor ran fine the last time the boat was taken out (August of 2013). My question is what should I do to prep the boat to get it ready to take out? Also the boat was not properly winterized so I'm sure that is an issue as well. Obviously I will need to replace the spark plugs and wires but I was wondering what other steps I needed to take to check the engine and fix in order to get it in proper running order. I've been around boats all my life but we usually had our outboards serviced by our local marina and the boats were properly winterized so I just want to make sure I'm taking every appropriate step with this outboard since I feel like it was neglected a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get rid of old gas, may need to remove and clean carbs, check fuel hoses and filters.
    Change gearcase oil
    Run a 50:1 oil ratio and see how it runs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X