55 Enforcer ('93) no power under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Enforcer ('93) no power under load

Greetings all. Up front... I've been trying to get a factory service manual for this military 2 stroke, through some buddies in Coranado, but no luck yet. I bought this motor in Jan. Been running it weekly since then with no issues until 2 weeks ago, when it just sort of... cut out. Not completely died, but total loss of power. Took it in told them to go through it and clean the carbs. Compression is good, fuel pump, water pump check out. They said they ran it in the tank and it looked good, but they did not run it under load. Told me it was probably the power pack going and that would behave like I had described. They did replace the plugs and told me to run it and see if there was any difference.

Ran it last week. It idles beautifully and up to about 5-7mph everything is great. When I get on the throttle, it just doesn't really respond. It comes up slowly, but no where near full power. Pulled the plugs. Top plug looks fuel fouled and bottom plug looks good. Pulled the carbs, cleaned/rebuilt them. Didn't look too bad,no debris, no varnish. At this point I'm thinking, power pack or coil. Thoughts? Suggestions for troubleshooting?

When this first happened I pulled the primer out and it gave it a slight bump in power which makes me think a jet is occluded, but when the mech said power pack, it got me thinking. I hate to just start swapping parts. Until I get my hands on a manual, I'm dead in the water. Any help on a methodical troubleshooting procedure with specs would be appreciated.

Thanks Gents.
    Last edited by bluewaterhnter; 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM.

Try pumping primer bulb or bumping choke to see if runs better, if so the have a fuel problem.
    Unless you have access to a peak reading voltmeter can't really test ignition compenents but can swap coils to see if coils fires on other cylinder.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

No choke on this model. Pulling the primer dumps fuel into the carbs though. Initially this had a small surge in power. But only once. I haven't been able to replicate that and with a fuel fouled plug I'm disinclined to believe in a fuel restriction problem.

Interestingly enough, I do have a peak voltmeter. Jest need the specs. Should be pushing about 230 v to the plugs, yeah? What about to the power pack? What about from the power pack to the coil?

Comment

150-400 volts stator output, 10-20 volts on trigger coils and 100-400 volts on power pack output to coils.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

SO... got a manual, ran all the requisite tests on the electrical system. All looks good except at WOT where my voltage on the charge coil drops to about a third. I pull the flywheel and find a melted charge coil. I'm guessing this is my issue.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X