1976 Johnson 85hp/wont start after a swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Johnson 85hp/wont start after a swap

I have a 1976 Johnson Javelin 85 hp I recently had on another boat. It ran like a top, only issue was the initial cranking where Id have to use the warm up to crank it. During a swap onto another boat I had no issues, but noticed that one control cable was nearly frayed in two and decided to replace both cables as well as the old control box. all came in yesterday and after figuring out the wiring I hard wired the new control box into the old wiring harness. after attaching the new cables this morning I attempted a start in which the motor will turn over yet will not even try to catch.
    I am unsure as to what went wrong, there were no major complications during the swap and the wiring was fairly simple so I dont know where I could have gone wrong. I need this boat in the water asap, it is costing me money being on shore and I was hoping for this week

Might undo the wiring you did and jump the starter solenoid on engine to see if engine runs with wires disconnected, if so then may have wires hooked up wrong.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thats exactly what the rep @ BRP the manufacture of the control box just told me, but after talking with him I am fairly sure I have it hooked right. Im going to try anyways in a little while, but everything was color to color save for two wires. On the pigtail for the new box-yellow/red and black/white. On my old harness I had a white and a black. the white traced to the neutral safety switch in the old box which was what I found out the yellow/red was. the black/white was ground, confirmed by the BRP rep. was what I had assumed anyways. black on the old harness obviously was. So.......IDK...... Im checking spark first, couldnt before because I had to leave to get my kids from school, but if it does Im not sure how I went wrong. trying to generate some ideas to work from while I have a decent internet connection onmy phone.

Comment

Working...
      X