Johnson SPL 48 motor bogging down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson SPL 48 motor bogging down

I am having a problem with my Johnson SPL 48 bogging down at top speed. Have checked the fuel supply hose and cannot find any air leaks.
    I did notice yesterday the bottom carburetor throttle linkage has worn where it goes through the side of the carb. (The one that opens the butterfly) Could this be a place where air is being drawn in and affecting the motor at top speed?

If throttle shaft is real loose then cause it to run lean. Might try removing and cleaning carbs, check for a fuel restriction in fuel hoses, filters and gas tank pickup.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

SPL Bogging down

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      If throttle shaft is real loose then cause it to run lean. Might try removing and cleaning carbs, check for a fuel restriction in fuel hoses, filters and gas tank pickup.
      Thanks for the assist. I found several problems in the carbs. One question though--->That one carb on the right had some mickey mouse gasket installed. Will rebuild both. BUT, The venturie tubes ?? at center are offset. Are they supposed to be that way or in the center? ALSO, there was only 1 frost cap in each. Are there supposed to be 2??Thanks, Jake
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jacob044; 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X