100ESL72R throttle probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100ESL72R throttle probs

Was just curious what could be done to fix this issue. The spark arm seems to be "sticking" after running the boat full throttle, it doesn't recess back to the stop all the way. It holds maybe 1/4" off but its enough that when you put it in neutral that it idles at really high RPM's. Was wondering what needs fixed with this.

One more thing too, after running all the way open sometimes it seems really hard to pull the remote arm back to neutral, it pulls back about halfway then it gets real tough to pull it the rest of the way back, I was curious if this is something that maybe could be fixed with replacing the throttle cable, and how hard would it be to replace it if that is the problem. I don't have a lot of experience working on outboards just started taking care of my grandpas old boat last year.

May need to replace throttle cable, if timer base is sticking then remove flywheel and timer base, clean and regrease bushing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok my next question would be since I have little experience with working on marine engines but im not necessarily afraid of it, I have pulled lower unit and checked the impeller and done routine unit oil replacement. How much is involved with doing this is it as simple as removing the flywheel greasing and just putting it back on or is it a lot harder than that?

Also with the throttle cable how difficult is it to replace those I looked into it got some general info last year it doesn't seem to be to hard but my lack of experience makes me a little weary of it.

Thanks for the response too I do appreciate your insights

Comment

Yes just remove flywheel and timer base. Throttle cable is easy as well as long as controls are not corroded to the point where can't get bolts out.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

ok I was just concerned that I might have to mess with setting the timing when I go to put it back together again if I do take the wheel and base off, also what should I use to grease the bushing?

The cable can come out easily I have already tried taking the remote apart to regrease the parts in there to see if that would help loosen it up but it didn't. I do have the link to the parts page already that's how I found this forum, when I was looking at it before for reference to replace the impeller.

The engine really is in great shape for its age my grandpa took pretty good care of it and had replaced some things on it in the past to keep it running good. I know the pulse pack is pretty new as well as some other things throughout the time he had it, he has owned and maintained the motor for about 30 years or so, its on a 1972 glassmaster fish n ski 16' still does really well at pushing the boat around. I had it out about a dozen times last year ran pretty well other than the 2 issues I pointed out.
          Last edited by OHFire; 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM. Reason: added info...

Comment

Don't have to reset timing, can use marine type grease on bushings.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X