1996 4hp carb fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 4hp carb fuel leak

I have a 1996 Johnson 4hp long shaft. The model number on the mount bracket is J4RLEDS. It appears that the carb is for a 4 Deluxe (the float chamber does not have the fuel shut off assembly that the 4hp float chamber has). When test running the outboard, gas was coming out of the front of the carb throat and collecting in the air filter. I did not think that this was normal (none of my other outboards have had this problem).
    I thought that it was a float or inlet needle valve or seat problem. I have re-built the carb using one of your carb re-build kits. I set the float level (direct measurement) between 0.600 and 0.625 inches. I set the float drop between 1.125 and 1.5 inches per the manual.
    I test ran the outboard today. The carb initially leaks out the front of the carb throat (much less than before) when started. It stops leaking after the engine has been run for a couple of minutes. After disconnecting the fuel line and turning the engine off (kill switch) and tilting the engine up it still leaks gas. After disconnecting the fuel line and letting the gas run out and tilting the engine up it still leaks gas (less than when leaving the bowl full).

Any ideas what the problem may be ?

Check the float, may be bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X