Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Johnson RDL-26 40 hp Fuel Pump

Hi All,

I recently was given a 1964 Johnson 40 hp and i am working on it this winter to get it running. It hasn't been run in 15 years! I am working on doing a major tune up. Fuel pump, ignition, carb rebuild, etc. One of the first problems i have encountered is the old gas that has been in the lines, carb, fuel pump, etc. I removed the fuel line bulb and filter and it was full of a white powder. I suspected that was also in the fuel pump, so i went about to remove that. Well that has turned into quite a project. I started spraying the screws with wd-40 a few days in advance of attempting to remove them. I slowly worked the screws in, out, in, out while spraying them often. I was able to get 4 of the 6 out, but two of them broke off. Now i need a new fuel pump. My research shows that the part number for the fuel pump is 0379297 and that has been replaced by 0388685. The problem i am having is that part number 0388685 looks alot different than the original one. Has anyone ran into this before? Will the replacement fuel pump fit?

Thanks,
    John

probably will but I dont know for sure.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I have attached a few pictures showing what i have removed and what is left on the motor. Is the part still on the motor part of the fuel pump? I have two twisted off screws that i need to deal with!

The motor has been sitting outside for 15yrs and not run!

Thats why i was removing the fuel pump to clean it!

Thanks,
      John
      Attached Files

Comment

We don't have a part listing on a 1964 so can't say for sure. You might run a compression test to see what shape engine is in.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X