Lower Unit Removal - 1990 Johnson 120hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Removal - 1990 Johnson 120hp

I have 1990 Johnson 120 hp v4 vro (I believe the model is J120TXESB) and I need to replace the impeller (w/housing). I've removed the 4 bolts on the sides of the unit and found a 5th that I believe also holds it together near the trim tab. I am unable to completely remove this bolt, it appears to be the wrong size, it was extraordinarily hard to back out but I've managed to get it about 1/2 inch or more out, far enough that the lower unit should begin to drop. It's not budging, so what else needs to be disconnected to drop the lower unit?

Many Thanks!

Don R.

The bolt in front of trim needs to be removed, may be a bolt under trim tab as well.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Was able to get the 5th bolt out by applying pressure to the bottom of the bolt head while turning it, and yes, removing the trim tab did reveal a 6th bolt to be removed. So thank you very much for that!

Now, the lower unit is free from the mid-section, but still cannot pull it free and off. During my extensive searching of the web for removing the lower unit I found vague references to disconnecting the shaft under the cowling, but nothing very clear. Is this something that still needs to be done to completely pull off the lower unit? I am able to see the shift linkage, but have no real idea what I'm supposed to be disconnecting.

Many Thanks!

Don R.

Comment

Progress made...

After studying the lower unit diagrams and still more web searching, finally found a video on YouTube with a similar enough motor to get me headed in the right direction. There is a screw/bolt pin that can be accessed fairly easily AFTER removing the left side (when standing behind the motor) of the lower cowling/cover. It is located near the back center under the carburetor. Lower unit dropped right off once this was disconnected.

Removed all the old impeller parts and put the new one back in and now have water coming out the weep hole again.

Now that I have it all back together, I am having an issue with water spraying out between lower unit and mid-section. I then backed out the bolts about an inch and attempted to clean up the meeting point of the 2 sections again. Tightened everything back down again with the same results.

Any suggestions? Previously this seam was closed and/or held together by a thick layer of paint!

Many Thanks!

Don R.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lrddread; 11-03-2013, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Stuck Lower Unit

I have a similar problem. But my problem is not resolved. All SIX bolts removed, lower unit still will not drop.

Anybody with helpful advice would be appreciated!!

Comment

Is the shift rod disconnected?
            Could be the water feed tube to the engine is corroded.

Comment

Look under the Trim Tab.

Comment

Working...
              X