coughing, stalling at idle 92 johnson 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coughing, stalling at idle 92 johnson 120

My 1992 johnson 120 j120tlend has been intermittenly been coughing and stalling at idle. I checked the gas several times for water. There is none and it's nice and clear. I changed the coils, wires, and plugs anyway seeing they were most likely never changed. No improvement. It seems when it coughs, more misty exhaust comes out the upper exhaust port. Is it normal for any water to be in the upper port? The thermostats are less than a year old but I pulled them today and they look ok. Maybe worth mentioning, about a month ago when going at about 25 mph the alarm went off continously so I shut down and waited a minute and restarted and it seemed fine. I went out again and everything was fine. The last 2 trips is when this coughing started but the motor is fine when at high speed. It was going over 30 today. I also checked the compression and it's about 120 at each cylinder. Any suggestions before I bring it to the mechanic? I don't know how much it's worth spending on this old girl. thanks,Ant

Need to remove and clean carbs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X