Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Johnson 100Hp (J100STLCEM) and Tachometer issues

Hello,
    Trying to track some intermitant tach readings.
    Usually when I first start the engine tach. remains a zero/doesn't move, then after a few minutes and sometimes revving the engine the tach becomes active.
    I believe the regulator is good as it charges the battery...haven't checked the voltage though.
    I know the wire colors (grey-tach signal, purple-ign. +12V, blk-ground & blue-lights).

I have the Clymer manual and have looked at my wiring, but a bit confused still.

1) The grey wire which is the tach pulse ends up going to the regulator and there gets the rpm pulses, correct? Is this an AC type of voltage?

2) On the remote control box, below the key switch is a connector containing the grey tach pulse wire? This goes back to the main red engine connector?

3) Underneath the console there is a 'sleeved' cable containing a grey wire, black and if I recall correctly a purple one. This one hooks up to the tach. gauge.

It seems I may have a faulty connection or ground?
    Also wondering why there is the grey tach pulse wire going out of the remote control box (connector) when there is already one going out from the tach itself.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

thomas
    Last edited by thomas3120; 09-28-2013, 05:14 AM.

Monitor ac voltage at gray wire at tach, voltage should increase as rpm's increase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X