2006 Johnson, 175 hp, 60 deg. V6, carburated engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Johnson, 175 hp, 60 deg. V6, carburated engine

The combination two THE wire Port temperature switch and quick start switch are in one combined unit, with two wires leaving device. My question is, when using an ohmmeter with wires disconnected and individually tested with meter, will Tan/L wire close to ground on rising temperature or exactly what occurs. Same question for White/Blk wire on Port switch.

Thank you.

Tan = Open until engine reaches a temperature that approaches overheating, at which time it grounds out completing the circuit that causes the warning horn to engage in a steady constant sounding.

Comment

Thank you Joe. So to follow up, is the same function true for the opposite side side one wire temperature sensor, in that it goes to zero ground, when temperature rises to OT setpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by PROUDFOX13 View Post
        Thank you Joe. So to follow up, is the same function true for the opposite side side one wire temperature sensor, in that it goes to zero ground, when temperature rises to OT setpoint.

That is correct... same function.

The black/white wire of the port disengages the "Fast Start" feature when a certain temperature is reached but I'm not sure if it grounds to disengage that feature or if it breaks free of a ground (never thought about it)... Disconnecting that wire, then checking the sensor (cold) with a ohm meter would tell you the tale.

Comment

Great, Thank you Joe, I wanted to get this info. for future troubleshooting info, no temp related issue at this time, but I do thank you for the answers. now I need to move into another direction. Question, The plastic cover enclosing the OS 2000 Optical Sensor, is stuck on keyed shaft. I have of course removed all fasteners and the hex bolt and washer, lightly tapped around cover with mini small hammer, used minor pressure with screwdriver in wedging it slightly, and I have applied ample penetrating oil, very little obvious corrosion or rust, but I don't want to destroy the cover in getting it removed. Have you any known tips for this you could share.

Comment

Having retired back in 1991, I have no knowledge of the optical sensor arrangement. Check with my fellow members on MarineEngine,com for the answer.

Comment

Joe, thank you. i have noted that for many years you have shared a wealth of helpful knowledge and I would like to say thank you for all that you have done and still do.

Comment

Thank you for those kind words my friend... they are much appreciated. Having started in this line, this trade of marine mechanics in 1960 and active to my retirement in 1991, it is difficult to comprehend the 58 years that have flown by since the beginning. It seems to stick with us doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                X