2005 50HP Running on one cylinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 50HP Running on one cylinder.

I have a 50HP Johnson, 2005, 2 stroke, oil injected. The top cylinder is not running. While the outboard is running I pull the top spark plug lead off and the outboard does not change noise/pitch/sound (still running on one cyl) when i pull the bottom lead off, the outboard stops. so that tells me the top cyl is not running. i swaped the spark plugs over and it did the same process. (incase one of the spark plugs was not working) and the outcome was the same (top cyl not running, bottom cyl running) when i check the spark on the bottom cyl it has a good loud crack. When i check the top cyl for spark it is very weak/soft. I suspect the coil is not working, but because im not familar with outboards and nothing under the cowl looks like a car engine I am unsure how to approach this. Thanks

Try switching the coil pack from the top to the bottom and see if the problem moves to the bottom cylinder. That would tell you if the coil pack is the suspected problem.

Comment

Thank you for your response. This is rather embarrassing, but what does the coil pack look like? Is there a work shop manual I can access online. I look foward to your reply.

Comment

It should be the bulky piece at the end of the wire that connects to the spark plug. I'm not a Marine Mechanic, but have managed to do my own marine engine work so I know a little about the engines. So what I'm telling you is only based on the motors I have seen or tinkered with myself.

Comment

Working...
        X