1999 90HP Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 90HP Lower Unit

Good morning all, i am in need of some assistance. My lower unit send a piece of gear or bearing through the case. From what i can tell it is because the driveshaft seal at the water pump failed. I am looking for a replacement but am getting very conflicting information as to what years are interchangeable. From my research i have narrowed the range down to 1995-2006 (batwing), but i have had several suppliers assure me that if i reuse my driveshaft and shift shafts that even older gearboxes will fit no problem. Not sure if exhaust bellows are different, or whether it will line right up. so my questions:

What years are really interchangeable with my 1999 J90PLEEB?

Do i need to disassemble the gearbox to remove my driveshaft? (I have the service manual that states I do, but then the internet research says otherwise)

Prop shaft is 13 spline, and drive shaft is 20" with 20 splines. I have no real way of knowing whether my driveshaft is one pice or two. Is there any easy way to tell?

Do i need to order any specialized tools to pull my driveshaft to put in either a used unit without the proper shaft, or in a new one which will come without anyhow?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks
    Bryan
Working...
X