Pee hole 84 70hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pee hole 84 70hp

I have an 84 70 hp 3 cylinder. When I start it cold, it immediately starts pumping water out of the pee hole. I have to let the engine run for a few minutes before it will take throttle without bogging down. I'm thinking that maybe the thermostat is either missing or stuck open. The motor runs fine when it gets warm. Should'nt water only come out of the pee hole after the motor warms up? Thanks, Keith

The "Pee" hole should have water coming out as soon as you start the motor. This shows that the pump is pumping. When the thermostat opens water will come out from the rest of the powerhead - at the rear of the motor, at the cowling.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I took the boat out again today and as long as I wait a few minutes for the engine to warm up, it won't bog down. It just seems like it doesn't heat up fast enough so the first thing I'll check when I get home is mother thermostat. Once the motor is warm and running good, I can stop and take off again with no problem. When I stop to fish and want to move a half hour later, it won't take throttle until it warms up. Sometimes it's a real pain when I'm drifting towards a pier or shore and need to move in a hurry.

Comment

Update, looked on the Internet today and found some good advise. In another link, someone pointed out that it is crucial that the timing advances before the carbs open or the motor will fall on its face. Looked at my linkage and as soon as I advance the throttle, the carbs would start to open. I noticed that the roller linkage was up against the cam plate so I adjusted it to where the timing starts to advance before the carbs open. What a world of difference. I can now give it full throttle and it takes right off. The settings are close enough now that I can wait until I get home from vacation to check the timing with a light.

Comment

This motor is driving me crazy. Still on vacation and took my wife for a ride. Went for 20 minutes at wot and it acted like it was out of fuel. Stopped and pumped the primer bulb, took off and ran fine for a short while. Starved again and pumped the bulb and made it back ok at 2/3 throttle. Had a spare fuel pump with me so I changed it, no difference. The boat is a 16' center console and the tank is in the front. Bought an external fuel tank and new fuel line with a primer bulb. Hooked it up and took off and rode 30 minutes at full throttle, burned a gallon of gas and it never missed a beat. Came back to the dock and tried the new fuel line with the old tank and couldn't get it to take gas enough to get on plane. OK it worked fine with the external tank so I hooked it back up but still have the same problem. It falls on it's face as soon as you give it gas. How can it run like a striped ape one minute and then like a dog after you shut it off. Plugs looked good but changed them anyway since I had spares but no diifferance. Carbs have been cleaned and if I disconnect the spark plug wires one at a time while the engine is running, you can tell that all 3 cylinders are firing. I've been a mechanic for 40 years and it isn't often that I can't figure out the problem but this one is driving me crazy. The only good thing is when I'm on vacation I get bored after 3 days with nothing to do so this is keeping me busy. Thanks for any help. Keith

Comment

Had to have the boat towed so I could get it back on the trailer. After I got it home I emptied the new auxiliary tank that I had bought. Remember that I said the motor wouldn't run when I hooked it up the second time? Who would have guessed that the pickup tube fell off of the new tank? Decided to drain the bow tank and hooked up an electric fuel pump with clear tubing to the line at the motor. It hardly pumped any fuel and had a lot of bubbles in the gas. Checked the line and everything was tight. Pulled out the sending unit so I could pump the tank out and globs of black stuff kept getting sucked into the hose. After the tank was empty, I took an air hose and could hear a pop as whatever was in the pickup tube blew out. I'm going to pull the tank out and flush it and when I install it I'll put in a clear inline filter so I can see if I have good fuel flow. Since the boat ran well when I first used the external tank, I'm sure it'll be ok once I get the fuel flow back.

Comment

Working...
            X