Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 70hp still overheating

Hi again Fellas.
    My 1987 Johnson 70 VRO is still getting an overheat signal from the sender. This after I have replaced the thermostat with a brand new one. It starts when I have been up on the plane for a few minutes and stops soon after I drop down to idle. The engine is hot to the touch but by no means hot enough to burn your hand if you don’t take it away. Pee hole water is lukewarm.

My questions are the following;
    1 Can a temperature sensor “fail” and kick in at a lower temperature ? I have not tested this yet cause I have to wait for the wife to go to work so I can use the stove without her knowing.

2 Can salt build up internally to the point where it restricts the flow of water to the powerhead causing the overheat, and if so which point within the circuit is the most common ?

3 Is there a flush additive that one can flush salt build-up away other than the one you would use after each run in the ocean? Ie one that removes deposits built up over time ?

4 What do women want ?

I have checked the sensor and it "activates" at 96 degrees celsius so it seems there is an overheating problem. The vernatherm in the thermostat appears to open as it gets hot 'cause I cooked it in a pot while the wife was out and it does extend. My next step is probably to run the engine without the vernatherm installed, not the whole thermostat, just the vernatherm.
    Does anyone see a potential problem with this plan ?
    I'm expecting it to run a bit cooler because of the freer waterflow, but I'm still thinking that there may be a problem with the flow rate coming from the impeller.
    Anyone else got any ideas ?

Comment

Please pin the post if you get an answer to #4. I have been seeking that answer for almost 55 years. (sorry, I don't know the answer to the first three either)

Comment

Can anyone comment on the performance and quality of non original water impellers compared with manufacturers original ?

Comment

Working...
        X