2000 Johnson 70HP - Engine Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Johnson 70HP - Engine Troubles

I've had an ongoing problem with this engine. Very intermittent and has been for a few years now. Basically it loses power and will only do around 5 knots at WOT. It eventually clears up
    and runs fine. I've got a water sep I drain routinely, all new fuel lines and fresh fuel, etc.

I took it out the other day and ran it until it acted up. When it did, I pulled the airbox and sprayed some carb clean in each of the carbs to see if the performance improved. This was
    my reasoning to rule out/in a fuel problem. All the spraying did was kill the motor in any of the 3 carbs.

Took it out again with a buddy, once it started acting up we pulled plug wires one by one. Pulled the top cylinder, absolutely no change to the motor, middle and bottom cylinders
    were definitely working because when we pulled those the motor died way down and skipped, ran poorly.

After this we figured hmm...ok you need a coil for that top cylinder and wires just because. Did the coil and wires on Saturday, took the boat out Sunday and 20 minutes in, it starts doing it again!
    Continued to run the boat for another half hour or so and it cleared, then I ran it for the rest of the day, all over the place, trolling speed, anchored up, fished, ran wide open for a while, etc
    etc etc and it never did it again. Next time I go to use the boat it's almost a guarantee this problem will once again rear it's ugly head and then disappear. Not having faith in my
    engine is making time on the water very stressful. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Working...
X