Random loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random loss of power

My motor started randomly stuttering recently. Cruising along at 5000 rpm then the rpms would drop for a second or two then return to speed for awhile. It happens above idle only. What would cause the SLOW to kick in without any alarms. I have a 2004 J90PLSRR. 90 horse 2 stroke. Any thoughts? I'm sure it's electric and replaced the Power Pack 2 seasons ago. Could it be bad again or should I look elsewhere.

Could be loosing fire to a cylinder, use timing light to check for loss of fire.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Im kind of having the same thing. Once the motor has been running for say about an hr. It just starts to bog down and almost always chokes itself out. I wait about 20-40 minutes and then it will run again... I was wondering does anybody think this could be heat related/ electronic..
      Please any help would be appreciated

Comment

It's not acting like a missing cylinder; plugs and wires are new but I will check the spark to be sure. It acts like I'm overheating and the "SLOW" kicks in to protect the motor but I'm getting no alarms. No stalling, good fuel pressure, fresh fuel, new filters, and she runs great at idle. I've learned that 90% of all fuel problems are electrical but I'm real weak in electronics testing. I've read my Seloc many times but am having trouble understanding how to troubleshoot the components.

Comment

Working...
        X