2002 Johnson 40hp fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Johnson 40hp fuel pump question

I have a j40plsnf and I believe the fuel pump is going. It doesn't pick up when throttled but if I pump the primer ball while in gear it speeds up. I am having trouble finding a rebuild kit. Is there one? On the exploded diagram I found online it shows the fuel pump as one part assembly. I'm not trying to spend 350 bucks if I don't have to. Please help

Here is what is available to repair a VRO pump,
    0435921 Airmotor Repair Kit
    0436095 Fuel Piston Kit
    0174127 Motor Housing Kit

Usually start with 0436095 kit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Just ordered it

Thank you. Ill let you know what happens.

Comment

Not the fuel pump

I replaced the guts even though they appeared to be in good condition. The boat will go into gear and pick up a little past idle and then stay at that speed even when fully throttled. Pumping the ball has no effect, this is what the last person that took out the boat said but I did not find this to be true when tested. Any ideas?

Comment

Check compression, check spark on all cylinders, may need to clean carbs.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

similar or same problem

I have the same motor with the same problem, when I give it choke it speeds way up, but poops back out within 2-3 seconds. I've been told possibly dirty carbs or bad linkage, one person said its probably a vacume iine. Did you check any of these? Have you been able to resolve problem? if so how. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I just posted my question above, then read this, please assist as I need some help.

Comment

Working...
            X