1998 90 hp Johnson dieing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 90 hp Johnson dieing

Please help, I have a 90 hp johnson, that just quits as if I turned the key off while running down the lake, my mechanic can run it at multiple RPMs for an hour, and it runs fine, but under power on the water, it just dies, thanks in advance

Check for spark at plugs when it shuts off, check carbs are getting gas.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by arneyl View Post
      Please help, I have a 90 hp johnson, that just quits as if I turned the key off while running down the lake, my mechanic can run it at multiple RPMs for an hour, and it runs fine, but under power on the water, it just dies, thanks in advance
      Not to hijack your thread but mine is doing the same thing. A little backround for correct diagnosing. I have a 1990 88 hp, I have owned for 12 years. I have had zero issues with her and it gets used alot year round. Starting last november running down the lake wot running fine then started to cut out a little then back to running fine. It did this several times then just died. put it in nuetral hit the key and started right up, so its not sparkplugs and its getting fuel.
      I use stabil in the fuel and thought that might have a bad gas issue, so I drained the tank, put fresh fuel and oil in, the next few trips motor runs perfect, now its back to doing the same thing again. I have talked to a few "mechanics", and one suggested it could be the stator going out, does anyone have any idea on this? Whitebass are running right now and Im missing out! thanks in advance, Steve.

Comment

If starts back up would be extremly hard to troubleshoot.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I have pretty much the same issue (1990 - 88SPL) - engine runs fine at idle at the dock (at various RPMs) but it just died when under power. To be more specific in my case it was running fine at about half power (for about 20 minutes) but the moment I advanced the throttle it died (as the first poster described: like I turned off the key).
          For me though it wouldn't start afterwards, even after 1/2 hour. Two days later though it started fine. Same thing happened to me last summer. Over the winter my mechanic thought it was a bad ignition switch so he changed it. Apparently it was not the whole problem.

Comment

Working...
          X