Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coil replacement part advice sought

Greetings JOF members from Australia

I have an old 6 hp Johnson Model 6BAL76A it is used as an auxiliary on my 21' trailer sailer

I have diagnosed a faulty ignition coil assembly which i would like to replace (i will replace the 2 and keep the existing working one as a spare)

My problem is there seems to be a discrepancy as to the type of ignition set up my motor has and what the online model description is.

As seen in the following photos under the flywheel there is a drive coil , points and condensers
    a lighting coil is also there and mounted on the head is the spark plug coils i believe to be faulty

the closest replacement coil i can find is eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

which cross references to
    0502880 COIL AY, IGN $32.17

Can anyone advise regarding its suitability as a replacement ?

Regards
    shane

I think i have confirmation as to the correct replacement thanks to an ebay item listed with a photo which appears identical to my units

This all seems to have been complicated by

1.Maybe Australian model 6BAL76A Not being documented correctly in current parts lists

2.The changes the ignition systems through the mid '70's
    alluded to in this quote from a source on the net Johnson

"These 9.9/15hp motors have transitioned thru 4 electronic ignition systems. The first 3 years from 1974 thru 1976 has a straight magneto setup with points and condensers, but does have external coils, which are energized by what's called a "Driver Coil" located under the flywheel."

So it would seem i have the correct part number to replace ?

regards
    shane

Comment

Working...
    X