1993 40 hp Johnson water pump rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 40 hp Johnson water pump rebuild question

I have rebuilt the water pump on a 1993 40 HP Johnson model TJ40ELETB and reinstalled it. In the kit there were two rubber o rings that I couldn't figure out where they went so I left them off thinking they were probably to be used on different model. The part # on the rebuild kit is 0438592, the Johnson kit. In this kit there were two o rings the size of the shaft. one came in the bag with the impeller so I put it in the recess on the lower side of the impeller. The other one I have no idea where it goes since there is not a recess in the shaft anywhere to put it. The third o ring, the one I'm concerned about, is approximately 1 1/2 diameter and again I have no idea where it would have gone. The kit I removed was totally different than the new one I got. The new one has a solid impeller cup while the old one is like the parts diagram with round plate and liner. None of these three o rings were used in the installation of the old Kit. The engine started and I have a good stream of water coming out of the hose . I really would like not to tear it back down unless absolutely necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

Some of older models had that oring on top of water pump housing, not needed on yours.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

1993 40 hp Johnson water pump rebuild question

Thanks for replying. Since posting I have talked to two Johnson techs at Johnson Evenrude BRP. The first one told me He thought I was good to go while the other one said the 11/2 inch o ring went into the small recess around the shaft opening on the inside of the housing. Neither tech seemed very confident in what they were telling me. I assume you are referring to the 1 1/2 inch o ring in your post when you say it is not needed. Can you explain to me what the purpose of an o ring would be to seal off the shaft opening on the housing. I guess i'm wondering if it were left out and should have been in would I still be getting a stream of water from the discharge tube?

Comment

Just went through the same process with my '89 tj40elcec. I too put one of the o-rings under the impeller, couldn't figure out where the other one should go so I left it out. I think the 1 1/2 o-ring is for the plastic wing looking cover where the shift rod goes through. Just a guess, as I also changed the gearbox seals when I was in there.

Comment

Working...
        X