Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 70 starting procedure

Good evening guys,
    I have a 1997 Hohnson 70hp which fires up within 3/4 second when cold with the fast idle lever up, and the electric choke activated.

My problem surfaces when we've stopped and caught our fish quota and now have to get back. I would imagine that after an hour or two off the engine should start without a fast idle lever or a choke. I have tried starting without idle lever and choke and it will not start, I've tried with idle lever and choke but it will not start, I've tried idle lever only and it will not start. Just as soon as I'm about to call the Coast Guard the thing fires up as if nothing was ever wrong.

I do not have access to the user manual for this engine (can anyone send me a link to an online version please).

Please can someone tell me what procedure should be followed when the engine has been run up to operating temperature, has been switched off for an hour or two and is then restarted. Should I be using the fast idle lever or not?

The engine was put through a reputable service agent and they have given it a clean bill of health with regards to compression, impeller, plugs and everything else.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has an idea.

Generally just crank engine over and it starts, might try pumping primer bulb to see if helps and in some cases idle engine down for a couple of minutes before shutting off to cool engine temp down.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X