'79 Johnson 35 HP 35EL79A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 Johnson 35 HP 35EL79A

hello im new here and to outboards. i have a '79 Johnson 35 HP. Took it out today and what a disaster. First it wouldnt start then broke the recoil spring and rope. Had an extra rope on hand. Well finally got it started and idle was rough. WOT it would not rev and get on plane and kept kicking out of forward. I had to hold the shifter to keep it in. It finally jump on plane and ran well. stopped to fish a hole and got ready to move to another hole. it did fine. just had to keep pressure on the shifter so it wouldnt kick back in neutral. after that hole got ready to leave and then it would not get back on plane. i reduce the throttle to just above idle and put it in neutral and it would shift into forward. or if i forward it would kick back in neutral. i had to start the motor by wrapping the rope around the rotor/flywheel. what a pain in the butt. the only way it would start was by spraying a shot of starter fluid in the card. any suggestions where i should start to get this motor running better? thanks in advance for the help

Probably need to clean carb. May need to rebuild shifter inside gearcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

35hp

Hi mate,

I'm not sure about running rough, could be plugs, carb,

But the part where your beast kicks out of forward, try looking for the shaft drive plate on the side of the motor, remove the screws that holds the plate and check that the screw is tight holding the shaft drive?

Good Luck buddy!

Comment

Working...
      X