J50PLEEA questions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J50PLEEA questions, please

I picked up a boat, motor and trailer at an estate sale. I lost my last boat to Sandy and the price was decent on this set up. The 1999 50 hp looks to have been taken care of but without being able to talk to prior owner I'm starting from scratch.

The first thing I noticed was the tan wire plug (temp sending I think) was unplugged. Can anyone think why?

Next was after I bought the manual I saw info on the VRO unit. No oil holding tank. Was the VRO an option?

Next to last question, what oil can be used in the power tilt if I can't find the Johnson oil.

I have always used Yamabond sealant, is the OMC Gel Seal the same?

I plan on trying to start the engine tomorrow to see if it runs. If it does then the lower grease and water pump gets changed out before it goes into a slip. Fired it up, it was 35* today. I'll order parts as soon as I know what sealer for the pump.
    Thanks much, Wayne
    Last edited by 11Bravo; 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM.

Wire is probably the temp sender lead for temp gauge.
    VRO was standard on that motor, someone may have removed it and using oil premixed gas, if not sure run it on 50:1 mix.
    Can use Dextron ATF fluid in trim.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Ordered parts from you folks today. I do need to ask one more question. About an hour after I ran the engine I noticed brown oil leaking out of the gear case where the prop and output shaft is. Since it's now snowing @#$##$ I can't pull the drain plug to check the gear grease, what is that oil mess? I'm hoping it's just unburnt oil from both sitting and I had flooded it when starting it?
      Thanks again

Comment

Could be unburnt gas or oil from engine, could be lower unit leaking oil. Pull prop and look for oil leak.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X