Tachometer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer problem

I have an 84 3cyl 70hp Johnson. I didn't like that is has an unregulated charging system as the voltage went too high so I adapted a regulator/rectifier off of a John Deere. It controls the voltage with zener diodes by dumping current to ground when it gets to 14.5 volts. The charging system works well this way but when it starts dumping current, the stator voltage drops and the tachometer goes haywire. When I put the oem rectifier on, the voltage goes over 15 volts and the tachometer stops working at idle. The rectifier also gets very hot. If I have to choose between a controlled charging system or a working tach, I'll go with the charging system. I tried taping into one of the coils to see if it would give the tach a signal but it won't Does anyone know of a tachometer that I can use that will not get it's signal from the stator? Thanks, Keith

No all outboards use a alternator driven type tach, not sure what would work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

tachometer problem

After a little research I found that both of my OEM rectifiers were bad. I have access to aftermarket ones that are inexpensive so I bought 2 so I can have a spare. Put it on and everything works great except the voltage still climbs higher than I like. Since it's only a 6 amp charging system I figure I can just turn on some electrical loads like lights to keep it down. Keith

Comment

Working...
      X