Johnson 40 commercial, runs/idles rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 40 commercial, runs/idles rough

I've come to this forum in hopes some kind soul can point me in the right direction...
    1981 Johnson 40 commercial series. Not much info out there on these engines... at first I didn't think they existed. Eventually I found and purchased an original parts manual, confirmed.

Haven't been able to get it running right since I bought it. Seems to misfire and die at idle. Can keep it running with some throttle, but still misses. The upper spark plug is black and sooty, bottom is wet and oily.

Work done so far...

Cleaned up and installed carb kit. Carb was pretty clean, the needle on top of the float was a little corroded, the float was tweaked down 1/8" out of spec. New fuel lines from fitting to pump, and from pump to carb. Engine runs better, but still has a misfire.

Replaced the bottom coil pack (had a crack in the casing), new spark plugs (l77jc4), replaced spark plug wires/ends/boots, new condensers, new points (old were set about .005 too close, now at .020). Engine runs better, even ran smooth for 30 seconds...

Thank you for reading this, and I hope someone will take the time to help out the amateur!

update:
    tweaked the carb float down 1/16", now runs smooth with %60 choke

Comment

If having to choke it to keep running then thats usually dirty carb or air leak on intake manifold.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X