2006 140 HP Johnson 4 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 140 HP Johnson 4 Stroke

Hello, i am a total newbie when it comes to outboards and boats. I am looking to buy my first boat and it happens to have a 2006 Johnson 4 stroke 140 HP outboard.

The motor is on the boat which is in a public storage facility. I saw the boat and motor today and have some concerns with what maybe nothing at all or something that could turn out to be expensive repairs if i decide to buy the boat. With the cowl off the motor looks very clean to me. It was not possible to start the motor today, the battery was out and no water supply. I did give the prop a spin by hand, and it did spin freely, but sounded like some sand was being ground or something gritty.

There seems to be a leak in what i would call the top of the boat side of the motor. I am not sure if this is normal or something that needs repairs. This is the 3rd picture from the left below.

There also seems to be putty that somebody put on the the lower shaft on the boat side of the motor. When I asked the owner he said it was grease, but it really looks liek and felt like putty to me. This is the 4th picture from the left below. Again not sure if this is normal or somekind of a bubba fix for something that needs to be repaired.

The prop is stainless steel and has one dent shown in the 5th picture below. Is this a big dent that coudl have done some other damage to the motor?
    Will this dent affect the performance and does this need to be repaired? Any ideas on what kind of cost ?

Thanks very much for any feedback
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe58C; 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM. Reason: additional comments

thats just grease stains

yes that putty is grease

that dent could be bad check the lower unit fluid for chunks of metal

Comment

try the motor

I would really like to see the motor running.

Comment

Originally posted by JUST-IN-TIME View Post
        thats just grease stains

yes that putty is grease

that dent could be bad check the lower unit fluid for chunks of metal
        Thanks, appreciate the infor.
        I wasnt sure if the putty was normal. Is this a normal amount of greese. Should it be cleaned off ?

I will have a mechanic check the engine over and make sure he looks for metal in the lower unit. I am told it was serviced and winterized before it was stored for the winter. Would it be possible to even find metal if the oil was changed?

Will the ding affect performance or does it need to be repaired?
        Last edited by Joe58C; 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

prop

I would replace or repair the prop.

Comment

Thanks, will get it done...

Comment

Working...
            X