Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 50Hp gearcase shift cradle

Hello. Newbe here.

I have a XJ50BELEIA which isn't shifting well since the water pump impeller was replaced. Upon inspection, I did not find the shift cradle (Part 0332507) so the problem made sense. I ordered a new cradle but it's too wide to slip into place around the shift dog shaft due to the narrow alley where I must slip it into place.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

That part number does show to be correct for a J50BELEIA, and it should slide into place. Changing the water pump should have had no effect on the shift cradle.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Not knowing to disconnect the shift rod from above, I removed the complete assembly out of the gearcase. I don't know if I misplaced the cradle or it wasn't in there to begin with; in either case, it's gone. so I ordered a new one.

So it's suppose to slip in . . . but it is too wide. Do I have the wrong part? It sure looks like the right part.

Comment

I got it. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Just for the record; the shift cradle had slipped back towards the prop and out of view from where the shift linkage is inserted. With the gear oil holding it in place, I was certain it was missing. I sprayed the shift shaft dog with brake cleaner to help me see things clearly but it wasn't until days later (after I already bought another shift cradle) that the original cradle slipped back into a location where I could actually see it. All is well now. Case closed. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X